Mouchão History

1824-33

Thomas Reynolds returns to Oporto and sets up Thomas Reynolds & Son, a port, cork, olive oil and wool export business, before moving to the Alentejo to focus on cork production.

Mid-1800’s

Reynolds’ become tenants at Mouchão, one of many dozens of properties where they harvest cork. Thomas’s son Robert, takes over the running of the business.

1850 & 1857

Sixteen members of the Alentejo Reynolds’ emigrate to Dunedin, New Zealand leaving Robert Hunter Reynolds, Raphael’s father, to run the business. Only William Dias Reynolds returns from New Zealand in 1869 to marry his first cousin Eliza and play a crucial role in the running of the cork business.

1870’s-1890’s

First vineyard plantings at Mouchão when two professors from Montpellier visit, bringing cuttings of the first Alicante Bouschet.

Early 1890s

John begins construction of the Mouchão homestead and farm buildings. John and brother, Raphael, marry sisters, Isabel and Cristina Andrade Bastos.

1901-1904

Completion of the new Mouchão Adega.

1949

The first Mouchão wine to be sold in bottle. Before this, all wines were sold in bulk – in skins, casks or wicker flagons.

1954

Albert Hugh Reynolds – “Bouncer”- son of Raphael Reynolds takes over the running of Mouchão. 1954 vintage the first bottled Mouchão to reach the capital.

1975-1985

Mouchão expropriated following 1974 revolution. Winery re-named “Cooperativa de Produção Agrícola 25 de Abril de Mouchão e Anexos”.

1985

Mouchão returned to ‘Bouncer’ Reynolds with the vineyards and winery in an advanced state of abandon. He died the following year.

1988-1995

Renaissance begins with planting of the first 27 hectares of vineyards. Tonels recovered and rebuilt. Spring frost wiped out production in 1994 and 1995.

1991

Electricity arrives at Mouchão.

2007

Mouchão begins pressing its own oil. The new cold press is very low-yielding producing exceptional olive oil.
Top