© All rights reserved
This elegant and functional building, the “adega”, shaded by tall eucalyptus trees, works much as it did when it was first built in 1901. Indeed electricity was only installed in
1991. At 6am, at the height of the summer, the cellar master arrives to open the windows and let in the fresh morning air. By 9am they are shut again to keep out the heat of the day.
The interior is cool and dark with beamed ceilings reaching 15 metres in height. It houses nine stone treading-tanks (“lagares”), which await the start of the vintage season. The thick whitewashed walls are lined with vats from 2500 to 5500 litres, pipes of 550 litres, and barrels of 225 to 300 litres.
The distillery was constructed in 1929 and consists of both a pot still and a column still, both heated by a wood furnace.
Everything made at Mouchao is estate bottled and the winery has facilities for bottling, finishing and despatching goods.
The Winery is managed by a cellar master who follows in the footsteps of his father and grandfather.